There are 4 steps to install and setup Buying Buddy on your Weebly website:
- Get a Google Map API Key.
- Create 2 new web pages and add the "results" and "details" widget short codes to them.
- Confirm that the websites settings in your buying buddy account match the pages you just created.
This article provides detailed instructions to guide you through these steps.
Step 1: Get your Google Map API Key
A Google Map API key is required.
- Follow these instructions to get a Google Map API key.
When you have created your Key, make sure it is added to Website Settings in your Buying Buddy account before proceeding with the next step.
Step 2: Add Buying Buddy Plugin to your Site
- Login to your Buying Buddy dashboard at leadsandcontacts.com.
Then click the "Plugin Installation" button to view the installation instructions.
- COPY the plugin code.
Step 2b: Add The Plugin to Your Site
- In your Weebly account, click the button to Edit Site.
- In the top menu - click Settings:
- Next, go to the SEO menu and then scroll down to find the panel for entering "Header Code".
Step 3: Add Foundation Pages with Widgets
Step 3a: Add 2 Foundation Pages
You need to create and identify 2 key pages to be in your Buying Buddy account:
- Results Page (which will show the "Results" widget)
- Property Details Page (which will show the "Property Details" widget)
Plus, you will also need to add a Search Form widget on any other different page too for testing.
- From the top menu, click "Pages".
- Then click the "+" to add a new page. You should add a "standard" page as shown below:
- Give your page a name, such as "results".
You should check the option to "Hide in navigation".
It may also be best to set the header option to be "no header".
- Check that visibility is set to "public". There is no need to change SEO settings on this page.
- Click "Done" to save the page.
- Repeat and add a page for "details".
Step 3b: Insert Buying Buddy Widget Code to Display Widgets
- Now EDIT the new "results" page and click "Build" in the top menu.
(If you are not currently editing this page, then because we chose to hide it from the menu you need to find it via the Weebly editor - so click Pages in the top menu, then select the page to edit - then click "Build" again in the top menu.)
- Click and drag the "Embed Code" element from the Build options on the left. You may have to click the blue "show more elements" if its not shown.
- CLICK the Embed code element it to see the option to "Edit Custom HTML"
Paste the following short code for the Buying Buddy "Results" widget into the code panel:
The code is automatically saved.
PLEASE NOTE! The widget will not be visible until you view the PUBLISHED site. So in the Editor, your page may look like it has nothing added. However, if you hover your mouse over where the element is you should see the Embed Code block highlighted and you can always review or edit it if needed.
Excellent! You have set up the Results Foundation Page.
- NOW REPEAT the above steps to setup your Details page ** Do not forget to do this! **
The Widget short code to use is:
Note: The details widget may display a SQL error if you preview it - ignore this.
Excellent! You have now set up the Details Foundation Page.
- Finally, paste the Search Form widget to any other page using the process described above (this is for testing the search - this is not a foundation page).
The Search form short code is:
Before testing - complete the next step!
Step 3c: Configure your Buying Buddy account so that page names match
It's important that the Buying Buddy system knows the page address you used for your Foundation Pages, as Buying Buddy needs to know where to go to show search results, and where to direct your leads (via emails etc.) to see search results and details of a specific property.
So, in this step, you will add the page addresses to the Website Settings in Buying Buddy.
- In your Buying Buddy dashboard, from the current "Get Widgets" page, click the link at the top of the page to go to Website Settings.
Then click the "Website Settings" link for your website.
- Scroll down to section "4. WIDGET FOUNDATION PAGES" to review the page addresses of the Widget Foundation pages.
- Check the page names shown and update them if needed.
- You will see that they are probably shown as just results and details - in which case you need to change these to say the actual names of the pages you created, for example - these might be results.html and details.html.
NOTE: Use the actual page names for YOUR site - don't assume that they are the same as shown in this example!
Step 4: Enable Property Sharing
Stay in the Website Settings panel in your Buying Buddy account for this next step!
To ensure that the social share options can be used to share properties from your website on Facebook etc, you must add an A RECORD to your domain's DNS records.
- In Website Settings, scroll to review section "3. SOCIAL SHARE OPTIONS".
Then click the "Website Settings" link for your website. and then scroll down.
- Modify the DNS records for your domain mybuyingbuddy.com as follows:
Add an A-RECORD for the subdomain "bb"
to point to: 184.108.40.206
- Once you have added your A-RECORD, set the 'Social Share Option' (below) to be YES, and SAVE SETTINGS.
Widgets not fully displaying - content is cut off
When you add a custom HTML element, the Weebly system puts this code into a layout block that has a setting to stop content from overflowing. This can prevent interaction on some widgets.
For example, the Quick Search widget using the 'max-min' price selector drop-down will be cut-off or show an odd behavior.
"SQL Error" on Details Page
If you see this message then this is because you are attempting to view the Property Details widget on a page on its own without a reference to a property! Ignore this, the widget is installed correctly and this error is never seen.
Staging / "Sorry this domain is not authorized"
There are two options for dealing with this:
- Make sure your actual domain name is applied and working - and then view the "live" site in which case widgets will be displayed correctly. You can then choose to ignore this message while in development.
- If you need to do more extensive development then you can request (via Help Desk) to add your Weebly development staging domain as an extra (free) "authorized" domain on your account.
We call this a 'sandbox' development URL and it would be authorized temporarily while you do development.
Step 5: Doing More
Your Weebly site editor will allow you to create custom search forms and use all the capabilities of the Buying Buddy widgets.
Some example that you may like to consider include;
- Adding a Featured Listings page to display your own listings
- Showing your Sold properties
- Creating neighborhood pages with properties for neighborhoods
- Adding lead capture forms that send leads directly to the Buying Buddy CRM
- Adding a general contact form widget
- and a lot more!
You can now use Widget Themes to style widgets - or even add custom CSS too if you wish to.
See our demonstration websites for ideas and inspiration
If you need more help please contact us.
Fixing the Overflow Problem
If Buying Buddy widgets are being prevented from displaying correctly on your Weebly site, this is typically because the 'custom html' element has settings to prevent content from overflowing.
We have found that the following elements typically have the overflow as hidden, but you should inspect the page code to identify issues. If you need assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.
- #banner (top of page banner section)
- the <div> wrapper that contains the custom HTML
- .wsite-section-bg-video (the wrapper for background video)
You will need to inspect the code to find the various div IDs or classes that need to be modified - the ones below are EXAMPLES only!
<div id="MBBv3_QuickSearch" filter="formType:simple1"></div> <script> $("#banner").css("overflow", "visible"); $("#934796931539956411").css("overflow-y", "visible"); $(".wsite-section-bg-video").css("overflow", "visible"); </script>